The complaint portal is temporarily under maintenance; please complete a Citizen’s Complaint form below to submit any complaints and/or email the Ombudsman at:

The Los Angeles Probation Department’s core values subscribe to the fair and impartial administration of justice. We are committed to providing excellent service and treating our clients, the public, and our employees with dignity and respect. In our endeavors to build a foundation of trust, the Probation Department takes complaints very seriously. You can file a complaint electronically here, or complaints can be made in person, or by calling or writing to any Probation Department facility or office. If you prefer to mail in your complaint, it does not have to be on any special form, however there is a form available. Complaints can be made to the Office of Ombudsman, the Internal Affairs Office, or to the Office of Inspector General.

The Office of the Ombudsman (OO) operates the Department’s helpline where Probation clients (Juvenile and Adult) , their families, and community members can seek assistance with their concerns related to service delivery, policies, and/or procedures. The Ombudsman team receives, and attempts to resolve complaints in an impartial and unbiased manner. The Ombudsman office provides recommendations on systematic issues within the organization by collaborating and coordinating with various Departmental units and Bureaus. The OO is not responsible for due process, but acts as an informal fact finder and consultant, and will refer a matter to the Internal Affairs Office if needed. The OO assists in achieving efficiency and justice by ensuring that a thorough and complete investigation is conducted. In addition to serving as a mediator between clients and the community and Probation, the hotline also accepts compliments and positive feedback.

If you feel you have been treated unfairly, did not receive the services entitled to you, or that your rights have been violated, you can file a complaint by contacting the Ombudsman’s Office by: writing to Probation Headquarters at 9150 E. Imperial Hwy, Downey, CA 90242, calling the Ombudsman’s toll-free telephone number (877) 822-3222, emailing your complaint to, or by completing the electronic complaint form on this page.

Citizens Complaint Form (English Version)

Citizens Complaint Form (Spanish Version)

Recognition Form (English Version)

Recognition Form (Spanish Version)

The Internal Affairs Office is committed to its mission to improve the quality of services provided, to uphold the best interest and confidence of the public, and to enhance and maintain the professional integrity of the Probation Department and its employees. Internal Affairs acts as the investigative arm of the Chief Probation Officer with respect to employee misconduct. An Internal Affairs complaint/referral is defined as an allegation of a specific act or omission by an employee in violation of law, regulation, policy or procedure of the Department or County. Please note that if you make a complaint against a County employee knowing that it is false, you can be held liable and prosecuted in accordance with the law. If you have a complaint that specifically involves employee misconduct, you can file your complaint by contacting the Internal Affairs Office by: writing to Probation Headquarters at 9150 E. Imperial Hwy, Downey, CA 90242 or by completing the electronic complaint form. To file an online complaint/referral please click the “Get Started” button below. (This form is for reporting employee misconduct. Matters reported on this form that are other than employee misconduct will be referred to the responsible entity for appropriate action.)

Anonymous and third-party complaints are also accepted and will be investigated to the extent that sufficient information is provided.  However, if you choose to not provide your contact information, the investigators will be unable to ask you follow-up questions that might be needed for a thorough, complete investigation.

The Office of Inspector General’s scope includes matters relevant to the policies, procedures, practices, and operations of the Sheriff’s and Probation departments. The mission of the Office of Inspector General (OIG) is to promote constitutional policing and the fair and impartial administration of justice. As such, the OIG accepts complaints as well. To file a complaint with the OIG, you may write them at 500 W. Temple Street, Suite 383; Los Angeles, CA 90012; call them at 213-974-6100; or email complaints to

Third Party Reporting
The following agencies will accept third-party complaints. Third Party complaints are complaints made by people who aren’t directly involved, like family or friends of someone on probation. These complaints help spot problems like not supervising probationers well, mistreatment, or unfair treatment. Some complaints might be about really serious things like sexual abuse or harassment. When these kinds of complaints are reported they are investigated to make sure that the Probation Department is doing their job right and keeping everyone safe.

Child Abuse Hotline- Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS)
Report Child Abuse | Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services (
If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected, or know of a family that may need additional support or access to resources, please contact DCFS immediately. Reporting should be done when a person either knows or has a “reasonable suspicion” that a child has been or is in danger of abuse or neglect. “Reasonable suspicion” means that most people, given the same facts and information, would suspect child abuse. Hard proof is not needed to make a report. However, reports must be in good faith. Use common sense – and never make a false or malicious report. If you are unsure, call the hotline and talk to one of our experts. Individuals who report child abuse in good faith are protected by law from civil or criminal liability. All reporters, except those mandated by law, may remain anonymous. However, it is helpful to provide your name and telephone number in the event that more information needs to be obtained. To file a complaint with the Child Abuse Protection Hotline call Child Protection Hotline at: Outside California: (213) 639-4500 or TDD [Hearing Impaired]: (800) 272-6699.

Office of Youth and Community Restoration (OYCR) Ombudsperson
The OYCR is a State agency under the California Health and Human Services (CHHS).  The OYCR Ombudsperson is an independent problem-solver responsible for investigating complaints and attempting to resolve them for the people involved. Youth in a juvenile justice facility have the right to ask a question or file a complaint with the OYCR Ombudsperson. Anyone can contact the Ombudsperson if they believe that a youth’s rights have been violated or ignored or are concerned about the condition of the facility the youth is in. The youth cannot be punished or threatened for making a complaint. To file a complaint and/or receive assistance with OYCR call Help Line: 1(844) 402-1880 (Speak with staff Monday-Friday 8 am to 5 pm; leave a message after hours and on holidays); Email Address: ; Mailing Address: 1215 O Street, MS-08, Sacramento, CA 95814

Skip to content